Hangover Cures

Absinthe is again available in the United States (our long national nightmare is over), so severe drunks with epic hangovers can now make a proper Sea Captain’s Special. This drink was invented by Seattle bartender Harry Porter. The following recipe is from David Wondrich:
In an Old-Fashioned glass, place a sugar cube (or 1/2 teaspoon loose sugar). Wet this down with 2 or 3 dashes of Angostura bitters and a short splash of water or club soda and crush the sugar with a muddler or whatever's handy. Rotate the glass so that sugar grains and bitters give it a lining. Add a large ice cube. Pour in 2 1/2 ounces rye (or bourbon) and top off with brut champagne and 2 dashes absinthe. (If you lack this ingredient, you may use one of the substitutes available -- Absente, Herbsaint, Pernod, etc. -- but since they contain no wormwood, this step will be, let's say, homeopathic.)
Happy New Year.
"I have had occasion, I fancy, to speak before now of these pick-me-ups of Jeeves's and their effect on a fellow who is hanging to life by a thread on the morning after. What they consist of, I couldn't tell you. He says some kind of sauce, the yolk of a raw egg and a dash of red pepper, but nothing will convince me that the thing doesn't go much deeper than that. Be that as it may, however, the results of swallowing one are amazing."
- Right Ho, Jeeves.

Comments

  1. Hello,
    I'm not even sure you check this blog anymore but I just stumbled upon it. Read your reviews which were great! I smoke Camel unfiltered EU as well as Lucky Strike red rolling tobacco, live in Sweden. I'm wondering which unfiltered/rolling tobacco is the best in your opinion? I want natural tobacco without additives preferably. I've wanted to try American Spirits Brown as well as Nat Sherman Cigarettellos. Would've liked to have tried Camel unfiltered US. Would be very grateful for a reply! :) Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get all the best spirits and wines on Duty Free Depot!

    All the popular brand name drinks for unbeatable low price tags.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cigarettes in Review: Part 3: American (cont.)

Cigarettes in review: Part 2: Imported