The Smoking Issue

Joe Jackson (yes, that Joe Jackson), comes to the defense of smoking in a passionate and intelligent essay:
"Two or three years ago I considered giving up my own moderate enjoyment of tobacco because of the constant barrage of horrific statistics. But antismoking propaganda in the USA (I was living mostly in New York) seemed so overblown, so hysterical, that I became skeptical. So instead of giving up smoking, I started doing research. At first my mind was pretty open; I half expected to find that smoking was even worse than I thought, and I decided that, since I wasn't a hardcore nicotine junkie, I could live without it. Instead, I've been astonished, again and again, by how flimsy much of the antismoking evidence really is. By now I'm absolutely convinced that the dangers of smoking (and ‘secondhand smoke' in particular) are being greatly exaggerated, for a number of reasons, many of which have less to do with health than with politics, money and fashion."
[more] - The Smoking Issue, An essay by Joe Jackson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cigarettes in Review: Part 3: American (cont.)

Cigarettes in review: Part 2: Imported

Hangover Cures