Here and There

It is dark and quiet. I like it dark and quiet, don’t you? There are only two other customers, a couple. They seem happy. At times the happiness of others can be opressive. I choose to sit at the bar's other end. The bartender nods and begins mixing my usual. I like the sound that ice makes as it is dropped into a glass, don’t you? When I finish one drink he will make me another without my asking. I check the time: two hours until I have to meet her, and tell her why. Not here, though. I have brought her to many bars, but never to this bar. I’ve never even told her of this bar. As far as she knows this bar doesn’t exist.

To the bartender here I don’t exist outside this bar: he knows my drink, but I have not ceded enough information of my real (or should I should say ‘other’?) life for him to form even a partial image of my actual existence. To him I materialize, consume, and dematerialize.

He puts the drink down in front of me and moves off. I wonder what he would say to her if they somehow met, two unknowing witnesses to the same ghost?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cigarettes in Review: Part 3: American (cont.)

Hangover Cures

For a limited time only